December 14, 2016 (Sacramento): The First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) today outlined its readiness for a public-private partnership to deploy the Nationwide Public Safety Broadband Network (Network), including a plan to ensure progress on key Network components in the first 100 days of the partnership.
Meeting today in Sacramento, California, the FirstNet Board and executive team discussed major steps in the evolution of FirstNet as an operational entity. The Board also addressed how FirstNet will meet the objectives for initial deployment of the Network. Specifically, FirstNet leadership focused on the critical work to be completed during the first 100 days on core design and technology roadmaps, the state plans portal, and other network components.
We are now in implementation mode and stand ready to move forward on this Network for public safety,” said FirstNet Chair Sue Swenson. “The first 100 days will be critical to setting the foundation for success; we are prepared from both an operational and planning standpoint to deliver public safety the network they deserve.
During today’s quarterly Board meeting, FirstNet officials highlighted the organization’s operational readiness. This includes, among other actions, the following capabilities and functions:
- A network operations team to lead coordination on network design and other components;
- A customer service team to prepare for delivering service, driving adoption and providing a public safety grade customer experience;
- A forward-looking budget to ensure the most effective use of funds for the implementation of a public-private partnership and the Network;
- A world class innovation and test lab and technical team are built to foster innovation for public safety; and
- Independent procurement authority to enable more efficient and decisive purchasing of goods and services.
“ We now have the people, the processes, and the infrastructure in place to ensure a successful public-private partnership to deploy the Network,” said FirstNet CEO Mike Poth. “As an advocate and steward for public safety, it will be our job to ensure the Network meets their needs and objectives. FirstNet stands ready for this awesome responsibility.”
For more information on the FirstNet Board meeting, visit FirstNet.gov.